Even as the defendant in a case, you are obligated to certain rights. As they say, you are “innocent until proven guilty.” It is important that as a defendant, you are aware of your rights, especially in a very serious criminal case. If you are unsure, your Los Angeles criminal defense attorney can help you become knowledgeable. However, here are some of the more serious rights that you should know about:
- As the defendant, you have a right to seek an attorney. If you aren’t able to afford one, you may have one appointed to you.
- You have the right to remain silent as to avoid incriminating against oneself.
- You have the right to present any evidence that you find relevant to the case. You may also have Los Angeles criminal defense attorney call witnesses to the stand in your favor.
- As a defendant, you have the right to have anyone who testifies against you cross examined for discrepancies in their claim.
- You have the right to a fair trial, a speedy trial, and a jury trial.
These aren’t all of your rights, but they are the ones that are exercised the most. Your Los Angeles criminal defense attorney will make sure that you are aware of all of your rights.
- Law Office of Robert M. Bernstein
9595 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90212